Hydrogen generating units are an integral part of any Refinery or Nitrogeneous fertilizer plant. Hydrogen gas is generated by the reforming route where a hydrocarbon is converted to hydrogen rich stock that is used for Hydrgogenation of oil or for manufacturing of Methanol, Ammonia or synthesis gas (Used for Nitrogeneous fertilisers)
The gases leaving the reformer needs to cooled before going to the converter. A fire-tube waste heat boiler is provided to cool the process gases coming from the reformer, also known as Process Gas Boilers (PGB). The flue gases leaving the reformer are also a potential source of waste heat & this is also harnessed though Water tube or Fire tube type of heat recovery boilers and are also integrated to superheat steam as well are pre heat the feed stock.
Features of WHR boiler based on reformed gas/process gas
- Fire-tube boiler construction with flexible tube sheet design.
- Alloy steel tubes (T11, T22) used to overcome metal dusting
- Incoloy ferrules anchored in the inlet tube-sheet refractory;
- Heat sensitive paint coating on inlet box
- Internal bypass provided with liner to control gas outlet temperature
- Designed for gas rich in H2/CO/CH4; handles high gas-side operating pressures as high as 30 kg/cm2(g)
Features of WHR boiler based on flue gas/convection section of hydrogen reformer
- Both water-tube and fire-tube type design available
- Designed for heating a variety of fluids
- Common steam drum between flue gas boiler and reformed gas boiler
- Capacity: 30 TPD to 5,000 TPD hydrogen production
- Hindustan Petroleum Corp. Ltd.
- National Peroxides Ltd.